L.C.A.S.T. [Lower Cape Animal Shelter Team] operates the pet component of the local BCREPC emergency shelter.
In event of a regional emergency the Nauset HS shelter will host services for you AND YOUR PETS. Do not leave them behind.
L.C.A.S.T. IS A FUNCTION OF THE EASTHAM DOG OWNERS’ ASSOCIATION
EDOA has prepared this plan with input from officials of the Town of Eastham, Homeland Security, ASPCA, and The Humane Society. The best response in an emergency is one that was designed before the emergency. BE PREPARED.
- Always make sure your pet wears an ID tag and has contact information on their carrier.
- Bring pets inside so you won’t have to search for them if you have to leave in a hurry.
- Have at least a week’s supply of food and water on hand.
- If your pet is on long-term medication, keep a back-up supply on hand.
- Have a first aid kit. Talk to your veterinarian about what is most appropriate for your pet’s medical needs.
- Check with friends and relatives outside your immediate area. Ask if they would be able to shelter you and / or your animals if necessary.
- Prepare a list of contact numbers including your vet.
- Nauset Regional Shelter at Nauset High School does take pets and will be open in an emergency. Operated by EDOA.
- Check media outlets to see if the shelter is open or call Eastham Fire Dept – (508) 255-2324 or Eastham Police – (508) 255-0551.
- Know where the other animal shelters and hotels/motels are that take pets.
- A sturdy pet carrier large enough for your pet to stand turn around and lie down. (Not needed at regional shelter)
- Bedding and a favorite toy.
- Medications and medical (immunization) records stored in a waterproof container. You should have written proof of the rabies vaccination.
- The name and phone number of your veterinarian.
- Current photos of your pets in case they get lost.
- At least a 1 week supply of food, potable water, bowls, and cat litter/pan. (Optional)
- A sturdy leash.
- Collar and license / ID tag on your pet.
- Your Pet Emergency Kit (Optional)
- First aid kit (Optional)
Where To Go
- Nauset Pet Services: 2685 Nauset Road, Eastham, MA. A large number of pets can be safely accommodated. Pets may stay without their owners during emergencies. The operators of the kennel have prepared for such an event and coordinate with the Town of Eastham.
- Regional Emergency Shelters: Pet friendly emergency shelters: Nauset Regional High School, Cape Cod Regional Technical School, Dennis-Yarmouth HS School, Barnstable Intermediate School, Falmouth High School and Sandwich High School.
Emergency Kit Checklist
- Medications and medical information i.e. immunizations stored in waterproof container
- ID, license, rabies vaccination tags
- Leash / (carry case for cats)
- Pet food (week) (optional for Emergency Shelter)
- Water (week) (not for Emergency Shelter)
- Phone numbers:
- Friends who will take you and your pets ____________, ____________
- Eastham Police / animal control 508-255-0551 or 911 (emergency only)
- My Vet ____________ or Eastham Veterinary Hospital 508-255-0149
- Eastham COA 508-255-6734
- American Red Cross, Cape Cod Chapter 508-775-1540 or 1-866-762-1928
- Crate large enough for your pet to turn around and lay down (not for Emergency Shelter)
- Favorite Toy
- Current photo in case pet gets lost
- First Aid Kit (not for Emergency Shelter)
- Grooming needs
EDOA recommends that you prepare and keep on-hand a Pet Emergency Kit including this list and as many of these items as reasonable. Be Prepared.
Why have a Pet Emergency Shelter in Eastham?
Mistakes were made during disaster planning and relief efforts when major hurricanes Katrina and Rita hit. This has motivated a revision in the way the emergency response and aid organizations deal with pets and their owners.
Some owners were so reluctant to leave their pets in jeopardy that they delayed evacuation until danger was imminent or refused to evacuate at all. The result was dead pets, dead owners, and many more injuries – many of which could have been avoided.
Now Homeland Security, FEMA, and the American Red Cross encourage and support the creation of local and regional pet friendly emergency shelters. Eastham Dog Owners Association (EDOA) is a group of concerned citizens who have taken on the task of assisting local officials in providing a pet friendly shelter for Eastham.
Our local Emergency Pet Shelter will accommodate a limited number of pets and their owners during emergencies. It is part of a plan to deal with pets in a weather emergency.
- Small numbers may be housed at Nauset Kennels.
- Larger numbers of people and their pets will be housed at the Regional Emergency Pet Shelter located at the Nauset High School building.
We hope, of course, that no such emergency ever visits itself on Eastham. But hoping is not very good emergency preparedness. The Eastham Emergency Pet Shelter should help encourage Eastham at risk residents concerned about their pets to make the smart decision and seek shelter from the storm.
We need volunteers for these areas. Can you serve?
- Board of Directors
- Poop Pick-up Parties
- Buddy Scholarship
- Regional Emergency Pet Shelter
- Lost Dog Network
- Mutt Mitt Program