L.C.A.S.T. [Lower Cape Animal Shelter Team] operates the pet component
of the local BCREPC emergency shelter.
In event of a
regional emergency the Nauset HS shelter will host services for you AND YOUR PETS. Do not leave them behind.
L.C.A.S.T. IS A FUNCTION OF THE EASTHAM DOG OWNERS' ASSOCIATION
Download LCAST brochure - printable pdf format
EDOA has prepared this plan with input from officials of the Town of Eastham, Homeland Security, ASPCA, and The Humane
Society. The best response in an emergency is one that was designed before the emergency. BE PREPARED.
- Always make sure your pet wears an ID tag and has contact information
on their carrier.
- Bring pets inside so you won't have
to search for them if you have to leave in a hurry.
- Have at
least a week's supply of food and water on hand.
your pet is on long-term medication, keep a back-up supply on hand.
- Have a first aid kit. Talk to your veterinarian about what is most appropriate for your pet's medical needs.
- Check with friends and relatives outside your immediate area. Ask if they
would be able to shelter you and / or your animals if necessary.
- Prepare a list of contact numbers including your vet.
If You Need
To Evacuate - Do Not Leave Your Pet at Home!
- Nauset Regional Shelter at Nauset High School does take pets and
will be open in an emergency. Operated by EDOA.
media outlets to see if the shelter is open or call Eastham Fire Dept - (508) 255-2324 or Eastham Police - (508) 255-0551.
- Know where the other animal shelters
and hotels/motels are that take pets.
- A sturdy pet carrier
large enough for your pet to stand turn around and lie down. (Not needed at regional shelter)
- Bedding and a favorite toy.
- Medications and medical
(immunization) records stored in a waterproof container. You should have written proof of the rabies vaccination.
- The name and phone number of your veterinarian.
- Current photos of your pets in case they get lost.
least a 1 week supply of food, potable water, bowls, and cat litter/pan. (Optional)
- A sturdy leash.
- Collar and license / ID tag on your
- Your Pet Emergency Kit (Optional)
- First aid kit (Optional)
Where to Go with your Pet
- Nauset Pet Services: 2685 Nauset Road, Eastham, MA. A large number of pets can be safely accommodated. Pets may stay without their owners during emergencies.
The operators of the kennel have prepared for such an event and coordinate with the Town of Eastham.
Regional Emergency Shelters:
Pet friendly emergency shelters: Nauset Regional High School, Cape Cod Regional Technical School, Dennis-Yarmouth HS School,
Barnstable Intermediate School, Falmouth High School and Sandwich
You might also check:
- Pet Friendly Accomodations in Eastham: Check hotels/motels as well as private rental resorts which are
open to the public and allow pets. Be aware that these places are not
equipped for emergency situations and availability may be limited especially