HomeMember DiscountsMember Sign-UpMake a DonationLost Dog NetworkEmerg. Pet ShelterTown Dog LawsCalendar of EventsBuddy ScholarshipMemorialsVolunteeringCommitteesDog Photo ShowsBeaches and WalksDog Friendly LodgingNewslettersDog LinksDog ParkMission / GoalsMeeting MinutesLost Dog Coord.Contact Us

To Report a Lost Dog

Lost Dog Network Success Stories:

  • The Recovery of Harpo
  • The Recovery of Callee
  • EDOA Donates Microchip Reader (page down)

Harpo Rescued by EDOA Lost Dog Network   by Kathy Herrick

We were driving down Monument Road , looking for #66, and saw the husband of one of my classmates from my Italian class walking his dog.  We stopped the car and asked if he knew anything about the dog, and it turns out he lives across the street, is a good friend of Bob Coleman, and knew nothing about Harpo being lost.  He took his dog home and walked over to see Mr. Coleman to see if Harpo was still on the loose.  He was and we then asked permission to wander in the woods behind his house.  He was happy to let us do. 

We did a circle loop through incredible brambles and fallen trees and brush for over two hours and saw nothing.  As we were finishing the loop, we decided to take an easier way out toward the road by heading toward a neighbor's yard.  At that point, I saw something white move ahead of us.  We heard whimpering and headed toward the spot and it was clearly a white bichon.  Carolyn got a slip leash around his neck, and he tried to bite her when she picked him up, but she had no choice and of course he had no idea what was grabbing him.  The brambles were so thick he could never have walked out.  We climbed up the hill, stopped at the top of the hill to feed him some turkey meat, which he seemed to enjoy, and then headed toward his house. 


Mr. Coleman was getting into his car, and I ran, as best I can with my bum foot (Carolyn said it was like a quasi-moto run) to stop Mr. Coleman.  He was thrilled.  Carolyn took Harpo into his house, and he immediately turned toward the door again.  Mr. Coleman repeatedly said he did not know how to thank us, and he said he would like to make a contribution to EDOA.  I ran across the road to where we were parked and got one of our EDOA business cards to give him.  He was thrilled.  We were satisfied, and the cuts from the brambles and being covered with ticks (two of which we found soon after we got back to the house) were a small nuisance for the satisfaction of returning Harpo to his home.  

I also called Duane Boucher (the Orleans ACO) to let him know.  He was happy, too.

Callee’s Plight

By Karen Wheet

Our vacation began with high hopes. A wonderful week lay ahead of us with our two youngest children and our two shitzus. We had found a wonderful home in Eastham that would allow dogs. On July 4th, at dusk on our second night in Eastham, our family was out playing soccer in the side yard. My youngest Shitzu, Callee, was climbing my leg looking for comfort, as there were fireworks going off in the not too distant area. I picked her up, put her down and did this about 2 or 3 times.  This was the last I saw of her for 9 days.

How could this happen, one would wonder. Did coyotes come and take her without us even hearing anything? She would never leave my side – I knew that for sure. Or I thought she wouldn’t. We searched that evening, but I quickly realized she wouldn’t be found – if she was around, she certainly would come to our calls.

I spent the next 3 days putting up posters along the bike paths and asking everyone we passed if they saw her. My husband and I took our bikes along many side roads nearby, while our kids and extended family went from house to house in the neighborhood. I have never felt such a loss before. My 13 pound little “girl” was, for all I knew, fighting to find her way home (2 hours away) or possibly lost to us forever. It was too hard to bear. I would go to sleep early, being exhausted from the deep sadness that had overcome me. I would wake up at 4:00 a.m. and start the search all over.  In my quest for help, I reached out to friends and family by email to help support us with good “thoughts and prayers”. I got online and posted her picture on www.lostadog.com.  I researched the web for help. A suggestion was to put her bedding outside where she was last seen. Every evening, at dusk, I would watch her bedding from my bedroom, but no sign of Callee…..What else could I do? My other dog, Spencer, stopped eating.

On Wednesday, of that week, I found I had a voicemail from the night before. Someone had seen Callee across Route 6. But when they tried to catch her she ran away.  We spent that day searching the other side of Route 6, along the ocean. The people were so kind to let us search their properties. I was even told she was seen by some homeowners, but she was always on the run and the homeowners didn’t put 2 and 2 together.  How frustrating, she’s been seen but we can’t find her. It was like looking for a needle in a haystack. We called her all day, sure that if she heard us, she would come. She must be starved and scared! That day, while searching, I received a call from the Dog Owner’s Association. They had heard of our plight and wanted to help. Thank goodness!  The Dog Owner’s Association spread the word to their many members via email.  I knocked on a B&B door, and was told they already knew of our plight. It seemed the Dog Owner’s Association had reached many others for us. I continued searching, but to no avail. We sadly left the Cape Friday evening.

On Saturday, 7 nights from the time Callee went missing, I received a call from someone who saw her on Tomahawk Road – about 2 miles from where we were originally staying. I called Cindy, the President of the Association and the Eastham police. Both parties went searching for me, but with no luck. My mom and I decided to drive back down on Sunday to search for her. We brought Spencer with us, hoping the sight of him might help to bring her to us. While at Tomahawk Road, we received a call that she was just spotted 5 minutes away on Nausset Road. We were getting her back and it was only 9:00 a.m. on Sunday! However, when we got there, she was nowhere in sight. We walked through the woods all day without any luck. So many people called and actually many came by to walk the woods as well. Incredible, it was a Sunday – most people’s only day off and they were helping us! My fondest memory is of a man on a bike with a child behind him. He was holding a piece of paper and looking at Spencer suspiciously. I told him he wasn’t the missing dog, but her “big  brother”. The little girl riding behind him said, “Daddy, daddy – is that Callee?”  Incredible, everyone knew about Callee and all were helping to search. Heartbroken, once again, I drove home, empty handed. 

That evening I received an email from Cindy offering a room in her home so I could come back down to search for her. Callee’s time was running out.  On Monday, I drove back down and parked in Cindy’s driveway and starting walking the neighborhood once again. About 2 hours later, I received a call from the Police. Callee’s been spotted back on Tomahawk Drive! I’m coming, I’m running, I’m driving as fast as I can, I drive all the way to CoastGuard Beach when I realize I’ve driven right past the road! I yell at the young boy manning the Entrance to the beach and turn around again. Sorry, young man! When I finally get to Tomahawk, two ladies were there. They had just seen Callee and had followed her into the woods but couldn’t keep up with her any further. They stayed back at the house where she had run behind and then Callee appeared again, only to run away once she saw humans. We decided it was best for me to stay at the house and wait to see if she would come back. I set up “camp” with my beach chair and blanket and yes, my computer (I had to get some work done!!!). I actually got the internet and booked a catering job while talking quietly – hoping Callee would come up to me.  In the meantime, I left my car door open, just in case she might smell “home”.

Cindy called and said she would bring a hotdog over to hopefully lure her out of the woods.  Around 1:00 p.m. I heard a car door close out at the street. And then I heard, “Did you bring your other dog?”.  I came around the corner of the house and said “No, why?”.  Cindy replied, “there’s a dog in your car!”. I ran down the driveway screaming, “close the door, close the door!”.  And as I got there, there was Callee, wagging her tail furiously in my front seat. I gave her hugs while she wiggled away.  Both Cindy and I were in tears. And Callee ate the most scrumptious hot dog of her life.

Callee was missing for 9 days and travelled at least a distance of 2 miles. She wouldn’t come to us, even if we were right by her.  I have since learned that skittish dogs will stay away from any human contact, even their owners. I have also learned something called HAB – Human Animal Bond. Some people have a very strong bond with animals and will go to any length to find them. I am proud to have that characteristic and hope that my children will learn from our experience, that if you don’t give up and with luck on your side – you will succeed.

Since our reunion with Callee, we have caught her eating worms in our back yard (could that have helped her survive)? She lost 2 pounds and has a tick borne infection called Anaplasmosis. However, we are able to treat it with medicine and she is gaining her weight back. She is basically back to normal, however I now know to keep her on a leash at all times when we are away from home. I might feel she’s safe, but animals have an inner instinct to flee when frightened – we can’t forget that they’re animals.

We have received many phone calls and cards from the wonderful people of Eastham. I am truly amazed by the kindness that the community has shown to an outsider. We have even gone back to Cindy’s home for a cookout (Callee stayed home in Mendon). While some could say our vacation was a total loss, I believe we had an experience that will last a lifetime and we have come away from it knowing there are kind people out there who will help complete strangers. Thank you Eastham.   



Left to Right: Eastham Chief Kulhawik, Eastham Animal Control Officer Diana Back and Eastham Dog Owners’ Association Cindy Nicholson

With the coordination of the Eastham Dog Owners’ Association (EDOA) Lost Dog Committee and the American Kennel Club a microchip detection reader was recently donated to the Eastham Police Department. The microchip ID reader will enable the Animal Control Officer to identify micro-chipped dogs and cats that are found and will expedite their return to the rightful owner.   This is part of EDOA’s continuing mission of working with the town to enhance the lives of our canine and feline citizens, visitors and the humans who are owned by them.

EDOA is working on a number of strategies to form a lost dog network on the Lower Cape. If you would like to know how you can help please email info@easthamdog.org or learn more at their website www.easthamdog.org.  

A lost dog is never lucky, but should they get lost in Eastham it should be comforting for the owner to know that with the assistance and compassion of the EDOA search parties and the professionalism and tools of the Eastham police, they have one lucky dog.